Our solution will treat the discharged effluent from industrial food
cleaning and processing operations using natural processes. It is
based on leading edge bamboo based intensified phytoremediation
Our overall objective is to validate the performance of intensified bamboo based phytoremediation for dairy and other
food industry grey water applications. This will be achieved by meeting the following specific objectives:
1. The system is designed to be able to handle a throughput of 2000 m3 of effluent per day at the end of the project.
2. Installation of intensified bamboo phytoremediation system covering less than 3 hectares.
3. The system will break down nitrogenous compounds (including nitrites and nitrates) and phosphates in effluent by
over 99.5% so that any discharges from the system comply with existing regulations.
4. Validation of system over a period of 2 to 3 years continuous operation with industrial dairy and process effluent.
5. The system will cost under €3.0 million (capital) and €600 per month (operational)
6. Demonstration to the wider food and drink market through up to 27 trade associations and their members.
This will provide a market replication pilot demonstrator of cleaning effluent discharges from food and drink factories
in a cost-effective and eco-friendly manner.
Market replication through successful use on dairy effluent and on effluent from a very large drink processing
plant for over 2 years.
Demonstration system covering less than 3 ha, for a throughput of 2000 m3 per day reducing effluent output from
108 kg/day N to below 0.5 kg/day and 5 kg/day PO4 to below 0.025 kg/day
5 years post project to reduce the quantity of sludge produced by dairy and other food operations by; at least
10t/day of N and 0.5t/day of PO4 contained in sludge.
This will be achieved through significant sales, both in our primary (domestic) and in our secondary (export and
non-food) markets. We anticipate sales revenue in excess of €148million within 5 years post project. This is
realistic due to; the novelty of our concept, the need for our solution, the lack of any significant eco-friendly
competition and the support of a major EU food company keen on promoting ecological friendly processes that
can reduce the cost of effluent treatment.